Great day today!

Funeral pics part II will take place in the next few days, I promise!!!

Tonight… before 11PM and I’m exhausted, but a good kind of exhausted!  The day started before dawn with feeding the horses and attempting to get the house straightened up somewhat.  Nathaniel and I went to the dump in the morning and stopped by Brookview.  A funeral director from Foard’s was putting in some corner markers and he stopped by to talk, he said he’d never met John but knew he was very well respected.  Our corner markers aren’t in yet.

Scott (who worked with John), Kathleen, and their two kids came by in the afternoon.  It was great to meet Kathleen and the kids.  Scott mowed the grass and worked on some projects which I REALLY appreciated!  The kids got to play and sit on Ms. Squall.

I think Ms. Squall enjoys giving ‘pony rides,’ I think it makes her feel special!  I am going to have to pull her up and give her a good grooming, she had hives a few days ago- she’s sensitive and has gotten hives twice since her fly sheet got ruined.  This time it looks like she may have some rain rot where her hives were and it’s just on her one side.  Poor Squeally has the strangest things happen to her- she doesn’t usually have typical ailments, she has things that make vets scratch their heads or correlations with things that should have NO correlations.  I’m also considering blanketing her this winter since she’s getting up in age and tends to get colder than the others.  I’ll have to make a decision pretty soon if the weather stays crisp.

I really enjoyed spending the day with Scott, Kathleen, and their kids.  I hope that we can get together more often.  We discussed the possibility of outings to places that the kids would enjoy.  One of my concerns for Nathaniel is that I’m afraid he’ll miss out on things because of my  own shortcomings.  I am not comfortable driving places that I haven’t been, I strongly dislike driving on 95, I don’t like traffic (there is a reason I live in the middle of nowhere), and I’m not a fan of going places alone- especially “family” ventures (it’s emotionally hard and I tend to just avoid it).  Some of it goes back to totaling my car when I was in college and got lost.  In some respects, I’ve gotten better- I no longer hit the brakes and death grip the steering wheel on gravel or grooved pavement.  But I still get extremely anxious and nervous driving in unfamiliar places.

Josh is going to service the Navigator, so I took it over to their house tonight.  It was interesting trying to get it in the back of the Jeep.  I’m thinking I may have to mount the bike rack on the back in order to accommodate the bike and the trailer.  It was nice to spend time with Becky & Josh… they recently found out that they are expecting their first child!

Well… like I said… I’m exhausted… it’s even a good type of exhausted!  So, I’m going to head off to bed.

About Mary K. Smith

I was widowed in July 2009, when I lost my beloved husband, John, to melanoma. Cancer SUCKS. We have a young son who was just a year old when his father died. I live on a small farm in Maryland which is home to horses, cats, and a dog. I started this blog as a way for me to heal, a way to remember my husband, and eventually I'd like to share it with our son so he can see the love that his father had for him, the love that we had for each other, what a great person his father was, and how hard his father fought to live.
This entry was posted in Annapolis Fire Department, Cycling, Life after John's Death and tagged , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s