It is very important for me to honor and remember John and I want Nathaniel to know what a great father he had. One of the things that I’m trying to do is put together a memorial bike ride in honor/memory of John.
The problem is I really don’t know a lot about cycling or how to put on a ride.
I talk about my idea often trying to find some resources and ideas to help me bring the bike ride to fruition. I know that would be one tribute that John would truly love and appreciate.
I have a lot of ideas…
- a fun ride that offers a great ride for novice cyclists as well as advanced cyclists
- promote melanoma awareness (possibly sunscreen samples and skn checks)
- showcase the beauty of Cecil County
- Raise money for Melanoma Research Foundation so that melanoma can be directly fought (possibly LiveStrong/Lance Armstrong Foundation as well since John was such a huge proponent of LiveStrong)
- Incorporate kids activities as wel
Shortly after John passed away, I found a ride that he’d created (not sure if he rode it or not) called Tour de Cecil. He had designed it for his buddy to ride with him- he wanted to give him a bike tour of Cecil County. The ride he developed is seventy some miles… shorter than a century ride, but with a little tweaking it can probably be extended.
Recently, I’ve made some promising contacts and I really hope that I can put on the first ride this year… so, we’ll see…